8 steps to finding a doula
After you've learned what a doula is here are some tips for finding the right doula for you!
1. If you have a particular need, identity, or any other thing out of the typical that is important to you search for a doula that matches that need!
- If you are a black, indigenous or queer then you can search for a doula that shares that identity with you!
- If you have a higher BMI, are going for a VBAC, have gestational diabetes or high risk issues you can seek out a doula that specializes in that particular thing.
2. Facebook groups.
- This one can be tough because it’s all word of mouth but it can give you a really good starting point!
4. Once you’ve found a few doulas you are interested in meeting set up your consults!
5. Meet with as many or as few doulas as you’d like to and ask your interview questions.
6. Take notes, and pay attention to how you feel about each person you meet.
7. If you meet with everyone and aren’t happy you can look into other options.
- Try to find a different directory
- Consider hiring someone who offers virtual services (this allows you to look outside of your geographic location as well.
- Consider the risks vs. benefit of not having a doula present at your birth and use that to help make your decision.
8. If you meet someone you’re excited about hire them!
- Hire a doula as early as you can!
- Ideally at 20 weeks but this could be earlier or later based on your circumstances.
- If cost is an issue ask about payment plans!
- Some doula’s availability fills up fast so its a good idea to hire the one you want as quickly as you can!
- Hiring a doula earlier gives you more time to get to know them, and provides you with more of their resources!